Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The News

On Tuesday, December 15 I went for my annual mammogram and by that afternoon I was informed that I had a 2 cm suspicious mass on the left side. I was scheduled to see Dr. Duven on Thursday morning, December 17 to do an ultrasound and possible biopsy. He determined from the ultrasound that a biopsy was needed as the mass irregular in shape and wasn’t smooth (cysts are). I went to Dr. Duven's office on Friday, December 18 and was told it was "a cancer". I immediately went for an MRI and received the results from that yesterday, December 21.


The news...Dr. Duven said I could do either a lumpectomy or a mastectomy - it was really my choice. Having worked in the dental field for so many years I have always known that the real thing is better than something artificial so, as of today - I am leaning towards a lumpectomy. I will discuss treatment with my two high school friends who are doctors and have a consult with Dr. Bastug, a plastic surgeon to fully understand what a reconstruction will consist of (I would only need a reconstruction if Dr. Duven can't get a clear margin on the lumpectomy).


As of today - surgery is scheduled for Wednesday, December 30 at UMP (United Medical Park) in Waterloo.


I am staying positive and one of the first statements I made was "I can deal with anything as long as I am not going to die". Nikki (my hero at Dr. Duven's office) looked me straight in the eye and said "You are NOT going to die".


That's good enough for me.



2 comments: