I was able to see the Oncologist for the first time today (he used to live next door to my Aunt Nadene & Uncle Gary) so I got in sooner than Jan 19! Hurray! The news was ok...not all good news - not all bad news. He has ordered the PET scan, a brain CT scan and an echo cardiogram. I already have the echo cardiogram scheduled for next Thursday at Allen and have asked for Miranda at ADI to do the other two tests. These tests will let me know if the cancer has spread. One negative to my cancer is that it tested abnormal for HER2 - which has to do with my receptors and cells...it is a negative factor for Dr. Singh's computer statistics - however, they have a new drug that will increase my survival rate. There is also the fact that I could carry the breast cancer gene (this is the BRAC1 BRAC2 that you hear about in the news.) Down the road if I decide to do the genetic testing this could impact my health if I am positive - but we are not going to concentrate on that now.
Dr. Singh recommends having a port put in for my chemo treatments (I have heard good & bad about ports.) These treatments will start when I am healed from my surgery (Dr. Duven will give the ok). I will have 4 heavy duty chemo treatments - they will be every other week for 8 weeks with IV bags/2hr sessions. Then it gets a bit easier for the next 12 weeks with chemo shots. Then following chemo I will have radiation.
Positive thoughts for the scans that I will be having and that I will heal well from my surgery and possible port placement.